Refracometer/PH Meter

Discussion in 'Beginners Distillation Forum' started by Falcon, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Falcon

Falcon New Member

Any recommendations on reliable Refractometers and Ph Meters would be greatly appreciated. Are the cheaper instruments offered on ebay/amazon worth their purchase?. I will be running a pot still and grains. Thank you.

2. meatheadinc

meatheadinc Super Moderator

Cheap fleabay pH meters can be a little hit and miss. I had one that was terrible and one thats fairly good. Ensure you have a known pH solution on hand for calibration as they can loses calibration when stored. Alot will come with a buffer solution for that purpose.

As for refractometer/brix meter i have no personal experince.
    Let us know how you get on as i have been thinking a refractometer would be handy. .

3. Tiberius

Tiberius New Member

I've been using this refractomer for a couple years with no issues.

I calibrate it maybe once every 6 months with distilled water at 60F (should read "0")

4. Sconie_Shiner

Sconie_Shiner Old Timer

I use a Hanna pH meter. It is no longer available so I won't bother to mention the model.

I use a refractometer for OG when mashing for beer and spirits and making wine. I'll use it for final gravity occasionally, but find the necessary conversion calculations cumbersome compared to just chucking a hydrometer in a beaker. For those who don't know, most refractometers don't work well when there is alcohol in the mix.